Welcome, Vistior!

This is but one voice amongst countless voices, but in it you will find another unique perspective on objects, ideas, and events that might catch your interest for at least a few seconds. Enjoy, critique, comment, and flame, at your leisure.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lord of the Nerds

People of the internet, I have a dull confession to make: I am one of those nerds who plays a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). I am sure that the first game that will come to your mind is World of Warcraft (or WoW, if you are cool), but I assure you I am not a part of that crowd.

Well....

Okay, I tried it once, but did not inhale. No friends, I participate in the fantastical world the is The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO). I like to look at this entertainment service as a book, a movie, and a video game, all in one. There is an emphasized main storyline, as well as opportunities to become more powerful and better equipped via side quests that do not progress the plot. The fact that this is based on the popular world created by J.R.R. Tolkien helps the concept as Arda as a game reach out past its MMORPG niche and into the larger world of popular fantasy. This link makes LOTRO a multi-niche gathering place, while refraining from muddling what makes it valuable to so many - it's authenticity and artistry.

I recommend LOTRO to anyone interested in the Lord of the Rings universe (http://www.lotro.com/). I manage to enjoy it while balancing a pregnant wife, physical fitness, job, and peripheral activities, and so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment